In many subtropical regions of the Americas, Asia and Africa, plantains are an important staple food, like potatoes are to us. They are not really a fruit, but a vegetable, and cannot be eaten raw. Plantains can be enjoyed in three different stages of ripeness. Depending on their ripeness they may taste best when boiled, baked, roasted, deep-fried or served as a dessert.
- Excellent source of vitamin B6, which supports energy metabolism.
- Excellent source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system.
- Good source of potassium, which helps maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Good source of fiber, which supports heart health.
- Good source of manganese, which supports energy metabolism.